Thursday, March 31, 2011

Summary of March

March got off to a rough start with the challenge of Pancake Day on the very first day. Gumby could not hold a pancake due to the inherent floppiness of pancakes, and I was not about to make a stack of pancakes just for that days picture. Then I had the idea of a moo shoo pancake. Twisted it around a toilet paper roll, added some tape, let it harden for a day, and voila, Pancake Day crisis adverted!

Gumby Three made his world debut at my 50th birthday party on March 5 when “The Penthouse Chicks” gathered to celebrate this auspicious occasion, and also, my birthday.  

That's me in the white shirt.
They were kind enough to gift me with Gumby related items including : a handmade Gumby card, a Gumby Christmas ornament, a Gumby can opener, and a Gumby tshirt. I have ten years to develop a more expensive hobby.

I planned to take Gumby out in New York City that Sunday, but two things conspired against me. The first was I did not buy enough velcro to attach the rollerskates to the new Gumby and the hardware store was closed by the time we realized this error. Also, it poured that day, and while Gumby is water-proof, I am a delicate flower who did not want to be walking around with Gumby in the rain. (As noted on Umbrella Day, he is not very strong on umbrella holding.)

Girl Scout Day March 12.   So far, the bane of my existence, as far as this blog goes.

I was counting on a Girl Scout Cookie box (empty, of course) we hadn’t gotten around to throwing out, but it was prematurely disposed of. I wrote to the local Girl Scout troop and asked the scout leader if she could arrange to let me borrow a sash, but I got no reply. I despaired. I even went on the official Girl Scout site, but my conscience could not allow me to cheat by simply buying a generic sash.

Other than for the Girl Scouts, it seems that March 12 is not a popular date to schedule a holiday on, so I was stuck with working with Girl Scout Day.

And then, a miracle occurred! I was waiting for the bus (yes, I go green, literally) and a school bus deboarded shortly ahead of it. A group of four girls got off. I KNEW that one of them was a Girl Scout because she was the one who sold me the coveted Girl Scout cookies whose box was prematurely disposed of.

“Is one of you a Girl Scout?” I asked.

One of them volunteered she was.

I explained my Gumby project, and as she has seen Gumby in the neighborhood several times, she immediately understood. Not only was she willing to let me borrow her sash, but she happened to have it on her and lent she it to me on the spot. I returned the sash in a day or two, along with an autographed picture of Gumby wearing it. Thank you so much, Carmen!

Despite my promise to not do this, I cheated. March 17 and March 18 both have computer-generated images.  Blame Rosie Duck for corrupting me.

March 20 is also Kiss Your Fiance Day. I was hoping to have another date with Lucy for this, but she was otherwise engaged (no pun intended), and it did not work out. However, unlike March 12, I had a backup holiday and a handy alien. I am adverting crisis’ right and left.

Yes, I just happened to have some handcuffs handy for Houdini's birthday. 

Other FAQs:

We had four food holidays this month National Pancake DayCorn Dog DayFrench Bread Day and Something On a Stick Day (we also had Oranges and Lemons Day, but that doesn’t help my point). The artistic director in me resents that these foods all sort of look alike.



Total expenditures for this month was $23.83.  (Barbie and Ken were $20 of this. After their photo op, I gave them to a neighbor’s little girl.)

Someone pointed out to me I am probably the only person in the world with three, six foot inflatable Gumbys. I am guessing this is true. 



Tape is Gumby’s friend. Without tape, this blog would not be possible. Thank you, tape.

A friend pointed out this article to me in the March 31 print edition of MetroWeekly. Gumby says,  “Thank you, John Sextoin, I am flattered.” 



Big plans for April, especially now that the weather is better.  Stay tuned and share the Gumby love.

No comments:

Post a Comment